Community
Published: February 09, 2017
Community
Published: February 09, 2017

Valencia: Warm, Dazzling and Full of Surprises

A Mediterranean climate, spectacular buildings and a vibrant cultural life are all part of Valencia’s appeal but Spain’s third-largest city is just as attractive a place to work in as it is to visit. Located on the east coast of Spain on the shores of River Turia and near the industrial area of the Costa del Azahar, Valencia is perfectly suited to business.

The city’s excellent logistics and communications infrastructure include the Mediterranean’s largest container port. This makes Valencia an ideal location for PPG Quart de Poblet, the most modern Electrocoat plant in Europe (also known as E-Coat, Electrocoat is an industrial coating method that relies on electrical current.)

Working for the most famous brands

Around 90% of Quart de Poblet’s output is sold into the global OEM market, with the other 10% going into the general industrial market. More than half of the E-Coat used by the European car industry is produced here at Quart de Poblet, which supplies more than 55 plants of the main car manufacturers worldwide, among them household names such as General Motors, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Ford, Porsche, Nissan and Fiat.

Dedicated to the production of E-Coats (Resins, Blends and Pastes), Quart de Poblet site covers 24,000 square meters, half of it under one roof. The plant operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week and can produce more than 140,000 tons of E-Coat products a year.

Going Green

Equally important, the plant has decreased its energy costs by nearly 35% over the past six years, reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 7,200 tons and saving around 2 million euros. Quart de Poblet’s commitment to sustainability helped the plant become the first PPG facility to receive ISO 50001 certification for energy management, and it has picked up Global PPG Sustainability awards in every category. On top of that, the plant has gone nine years without workplace injuries (I&I).

Arts, science, nature and beauty

For visitors to Quart de Poblet, the surrounding city is just as impressive.

The cathedral is downtown Valencia’s main landmark. Built on a site previously used by both the Romans and Arabs, it’s a dazzling blend of influences. Mainly Gothic, the building also features Romanesque and Baroque elements.
Valencia’s rich history is also apparent in buildings such as the Santa Catalina and San Juan del Hospital churches, and La Lonja, one of the most important non-religious Gothic buildings in Europe.

The Central Market, a modernist architecture that makes dramatic use of natural light, is also a must!
Charo Iñiguez, plant manager assistant

A more recent addition, the futuristic City of Arts and Sciences complex, is a new icon of Valencia, showcasing spectacular contemporary architecture. There will be more on our Spotlight City, Valencia in the coming weeks.